Since I've been here I've heard many different ideas and misconceptions that people have surrounding yoga. I hope this blog can provide a little clarity and introduce you to my class. If there are any questions that you have that I don't address here, feel free to send me a private message and I'll be sure to get to it in a future blog.
First thing is first... What is yoga? The simple answer...
Yoga is a century old practice that includes yoga postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayamas), and meditation. Yoga is more than twisting and bending your body into odd shapes, it's about giving care to your mind, body and breath.
The first class to be offered is Beginner Series at Highlands Regional Medical Center, on Tuesdays and Thursdays in August. If you are a beginner and have never done Yoga, this class is a great place to start. The series is broken down into 9 classes.
YOGA 101- 9 Class Workshop
Yoga is a century old practice that includes yoga postures (asanas), breathing techniques (pranayamas), and meditation. Yoga is more than twisting and bending your body into odd shapes, it's about giving care to your mind, body and breath.
The first class to be offered is Beginner Series at Highlands Regional Medical Center, on Tuesdays and Thursdays in August. If you are a beginner and have never done Yoga, this class is a great place to start. The series is broken down into 9 classes.
YOGA 101- 9 Class Workshop
- Tuesday's and Thursdays in August, 8:30-9:30am in new fitness room at Highlands
- Introduction to basic postures with instructions for focusing attention and combining breath and movement.
- You will be guided through deep relaxation and meditation practice at the end of every class
- Each class will build on material from the last class. You are welcome to come to individual classes, but it is recommended that you come to all classes to get the full benefit as we deepen our practice each week.
- DON'T WORRY IF YOU'VE NEVER DONE YOGA BEFORE! No experience necessary. Don't worry that you are too young, too old, too overweight, not flexible enough, etc. This is a beginners class just for you. Yoga for everybody, and EVERY BODY. We all have our own insecurities and fears, I can promise that my class will be a place where you will be welcomed with love and compassion.
- Please bring a yoga mat with you, and a yoga strap or canvas belt (works just as good)! I will have a couple of extras with me but it is a good idea to have your own so that you can practice at home. Pberg Walmart and Big Lots sell some yoga supplies.
- Pricing $50 for entire series (9 classes), $7 single class (pricing is for August classes only)
- Wear comfortable clothing that you can move in. Traditional yoga clothing tends to be more fitted to the body so that it stays in place in different poses. If you wear a loose fitting t-shirt consider wearing a tight fitted tank top underneath so you are not constantly adjusting your clothing and distracted from your practice. Same goes with shorts, if you wear loose fitting shorts I would advise wearing tighter spandex or bike shorts underneath, or go with Capris or yoga pants. I say this from experience :-)
What next? There will be other classes and times added for September. I hope to get a better idea of interest and availability, get feedback about what kind of class you would like to explore, and get something on the schedule that works for everyone. Please let me know if have any questions!
Namaste
Namaste


No comments:
Post a Comment